Sunday, February 22, 2009

Web perceptions

New internet technology today is becoming more popular because it is easy to access and use. But many people's interpretation of blogs, Twitter, del.icio.us, Digg, and other sites is almost like a joke. Those who do not know the usefullness of these web tools often see them as nerdy, time consuming, and funny.

I recently told my sister about the many businesses using blogs and how useful they actually are. The first thing she said to me was "when I think of a blogger, I think of a nerdy man sitting alone blogging in his house all day". Once I began to explain more uses of blogs and stores that use them, such as Whole Foods, she decided that maybe her preception of bloggers is off.

It is hard to shake the mis-perceptions of internet-savvy users who blog, tweet, and bookmark. I recently read an interview article (http://www.problogger.net/archives/2008/02/13/blogging-as-a-job-the-perceptions-of-others-convincing-those-you-love-that-you-can-be-a-problogger/) in which the author concludes that to change the "perception about blogging I think that this naturally happens over time as more and more people become familiar with blogging as a medium."

The more people begin to see their business', grocery stores', and friends' blogs, the more they will begin to accept these new web inventions. This will take time.

No comments: