Monday, March 9, 2009

One small step for Skittles, one giant leap for Social Media.


The Skittles website has gained a lot of talk and controversy. This only adds to the publicity that the company receives. I think the website is a great idea because it plays on what people love right now; transparency. It looks like they are confident of what anyone has to say about Skittles, which makes me feel like people must not have many terrible things to say. And when I think about it, I don't think I have anything bad to say about Skittles.


The best part of the website is the "chatter", Twitter page, which I think should be the opening page. I like this page because people are actually talking about Skittles. I would have never thought that Skittles could be such a hot topic, but with about one comment every four minutes, this site has proven me wrong.


I think this is a great idea for Skittles. I really do not think this page will necessarily add or subtract from sales, since Skittles is a pretty stable candy, but it is definitely a fun idea. It spurs more talk amongst people who would have maybe never thought about talking about Skittles (like me). I believe other companies could benefit from tasting a little of this social media rainbow.


Now all this Skittles talk is making me want some gelatin-filled, partially hydrogenated, bug coated candy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who would have ever thought people would be blogging/tweeting about skitles, it's neat. I wonder if Easter will bring about tweets of peeps, the yellow marshmellow candy. That'd be fun :)